Thursday, January 23, 2014

Authentic parents

I am very aware of my short comings as a parent.  
Sometimes too much so, and when it comes to parenting, the harder I try, the more "mistakes" I seem to make.
I don't have a parenting blue print.  
My BIGGEST goal with my children is that they know they are loved. 
Meeting their basic needs, entertainment, education, it's all at the top too.

"But on the other hand, being an authentic parent is an attainable goal.  Authentic parents are aware of their own emotional wounds, and are on the journey of emotional and spiritual healing.  They aren’t constantly looking over their shoulder to see how they or their children stack up, but they live in a constant state of awareness of the individual needs of their kids."
www.DrBarbaraSorrels.com

I want to be an authentic parent, and after reading this paragraph,  especially the underlined part, I can say with confidence that I am, and that makes my heart feel good.  I want so much for my children, and at their young ages of 4 and 2, I know that it's what I do that stays with them.

You can find the rest of this interview on one of my favorite blogs:
www.ashleyannphotography.com

I don't know what it is lately, but I've been thinking about parenting, and love, and attention so much lately.  This isn't unusual for me, or any parent, but I feel some sort of shift happening.  I do know it's for the better.  

1 comment:

  1. I love this! Being an authentic parent is so much more achievable than being perfect and teaches a better example to our kids I think.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips